November 30, 2009

So Childish

So today.

I'm teaching the kiddos about verbs the past few weeks. As with MANY subjects, this is incredibly complex in the 4th grade world so I try to simplify. I tell them if you can do it, it's a verb. If it's a thing or has a/an/the in front of it, it's noun.

This is how our conversation went today:

Me: Okay, let's all write the spelling word 'comb' in a sentence. I want you to use a helping and a main verb. Oh, and comb needs to be a verb.
Them: A VERB? HOW??????
Me: 'I will comb my hair.' See? A boring but correct sentence, right?
Them: Yeah, uh huh, right, makes PERFECT sense crazy lady.

They proceed to write sentences on their dry erase boards. I help them. Together we go over some sentences.
Shelven: Here's mine!
Me, reading aloud: 'She will walk over there and pick up the comb.' Great, you have a helping and main verb. But is comb a verb here? Can you do it? Can you do a comb? (in head: that doesn't sound right, I hope they don't notice)

That was when a couple of giggles erupted because I'd asked 4th graders, who DON'T KNOW WHAT A VERB IS, if they could do a comb. And they knew what it meant.

COME ON KIDS. Learn your verbs, not your dirty innuendos!!!!!

1 comment: